Blargh Blog

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Keeping Score in the Culture War

Our country is in the midst of a culture war, we always hear, with the Christians facing off against the Godless. But what metrics do we have to keep track of who's winning and who's losing? How do we keep score, and how do we even identify meaningful battles?

Well here's one battle that matters and comes with its own convenient metric: Rick Warren v. Peter Singer. Pastor versus utilitarian. May the best man win.

Singer:
I’m not living as luxurious a life as I could afford to, but I admit that I indulge my own desires more than I should. I give about 20% of what I earn to NGO’s, mostly to organizations helping the poor to live a better life. I don’t claim that this is as much as I should give. Since I started giving, about thirty years ago, I’ve gradually increased the amount I give, and I’m continuing to do so.

Warren:
Kay and I became reverse tithers. When we got married 30 years ago, we began tithing 10%. Each year we would raise our tithe 1% to stretch our faith: 11% the first year, 12% the second year, 13% the third year. Every time I give, it breaks the grip of materialism in my life. Every time I give, it makes me more like Jesus. Every time I give, my heart grows bigger. And so now, we give away 90% and we live on 10%.

This round, the points go to Team Jesus.

(HT Ezra)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home