Blargh Blog

Monday, December 27, 2004

Religion in America

I just don't get it.
They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus
That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes
But if I talk about God my record won't get played Huh?
Well let this take away from my spins
Which will probably take away from my ends
Then I hope this take away from my sins
And bring the day that I'm dreaming about
Next time I'm in the club everybody screaming out
Jesus Walks

Those are the words of Kanye West in his song Jesus Walks.

And what happened? The album with that song on it, The College Dropout, sold millions of copies. Then Kanye was nominated for 10 Grammys, including one for Album of the Year for College Dropout and one for Song of the Year for Jesus Walks. In other words, people really liked the song about Jesus and about religion not selling, so it has sold really well and been nominated as the best song of the year.1 Ahh, the irony.

And then what to my wondering eyes should appear? Why, it's a petition from a part of the religious community who is complaining that the secular awards-show establishment is not going to give The Passion of The Christ the Oscar it deserves because they would never let a religious production win. Round and round we go.

1See here for other issues surrounding Jesus Walks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home